It's that time of year
When the inside of your home is so warm, while outside is so cold. This extreme change of temperature causes a condensation that builds up on the area the divides these two spaces-
Now is the time to pay close attention to your windows and window sills to maintain these areas as this is the perfect combination to develop problems of mould. Daily maintenance is key in high lived in areas such as living, bedrooms and most importantly bathrooms. It may start off as a few spots but before you know it, the area is covered in mess of mould.
Specific rooms in your home will offer the perfect breeding ground for mould spores to accumulate. The bathroom and laundry are the rooms of focus and should use the methods mention below to help maintain and keep mould at bay.
What can you do?
1. Allow Fresh Air Inside
Open any blinds, drapes and curtains that cover the window area during the day to air out the area. Be mindful of the back of curtains, drapes and blinds, wiping them down to help maintain the mould or any condensation build up from the evening when the temperatures drop low.Open the windows during the day to help circulate the room and window space. Wipe down the windows and window sills in the morning as control the build up of condensation so it doesn't turn into a breeding ground for mould.
2. Use the exhaust fan and/or dehumidifier
The goal is to reduce the dampness in the air and get as much ventilation happening throughout the room. Both mould and mildew thrive in damp and humid environments so that gives you a clue about the kinds of things you need to do to stop the fungi in its tracks. Using the exhaust fan when showering along with opening the bathroom window is great way to help allow moisture to escape and fresh air in. This is very important in the bathroom and laundry. If it's too cold or wet to open the window, a dehumidifier is a good investment to take the excess moisture out of the air. Dehumidifiers are especially important if you are drying wet clothes inside, because this really increases the moisture levels in the home.
3. Keep on top of leaks
Keeping an eye on and fixing leaks as soon as you see them is vital part of stopping mould. These leaks may be structural in the roof or walls as underlying leaks can manifest big mould issues, and even when the visual mould disappears, the leak will keep the mould returning and accumulating further.
4. Using Moisture Absorbers
A great option for preventing dampness in these areas is using moisture absorbers. There are numerous options on the market at a range of prices, but our cleaners choice goes to the cheap and effective jumbo chalk sticks. Chalk is natural way to absorb moisture especially in the areas of the home that it builds. By adding a few drops of clove oil, this effectively kills the mould spores adding the benefits around the home.
5. Use a spray that naturally kills mould spores
Although bleach seems to be a pretty popular option when cleaning mould, it actually is not beneficial for mould. You should avoid cleaning mould with bleach as it doesn't kill the mould, it only takes the colour out. Spraying the area with products such as vinegar and clove, will kill the mould spores and help keep area clean. This naturally combo will kill the spores in its tracks. Our Grout Spray is jam packed with natural ingredients. Created with love and jam pack with goodness of clove, cinnamon, sweet orange and vinegar, this spray will not only kill the mould in its tracks, it will radiate the essence of chai latte. It only take a few minutes each day to do some daily routine tasks which will hselp maintain these areas, before they become a bigger concern and the mould sets in.
When cleaning the mouldy surface area, be mindful to rinse the cloth regularly in a separate bucket or container of clean water to avoid spreading mould as you clean.
We hope these tips will help you this winter season. Don't let mould get you down! Follow with tips and keep the mould away.
Note- cinnamon is warming oil, please use glove or caution of get onto skin as it may irritate.